DESMOND FOUNTAIN FRBS is a Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors.
An internationally acclaimed sculptor whose work is in public and private collections around the world, he specializes in the female nude and portraiture (mainly as the entire figure). lptors.
His lifelike depiction of historical and contemporary personalities has won him an immense following.lptors.
Noteworthy are his portrayals of Princess Margaret, Felix Dennis, Mark Twain and Sir George Somers, all of which may be found in the richly illustrated book, DESMOND FOUNTAIN: SCULPTOR.lptors.
Although born in Bermuda in 1946, he spent his early childhood in West Africa, where it is thought the unabashed nudity of the epoch triggered his interest in the human form.lptors.
Following his first art award at an adult exhibition at age six and selling his first artwork at eleven, he pursued Art Studies in colleges at Stoke-on-Trent and Exeter (where he was President of the Student's Guild), and finally whilst a post-graduate at Bristol University, he was commissioned to create a sculpture of their Nobel Prize winner: Cecil Frank Powell.lptors.
The existence of The Bermuda National Gallery is due mainly to his endeavors, and his bronzes are to be found throughout the Colony, which has also been described as his “personal gallery”, his sculptures being so accessible and abundant.lptors.
He is listed in many biographical and Art annuals including Debrett's People of Today and virtually all travel guides for Bermuda. lptors.
The Figure has preoccupied his imagery throughout his career. Since his successful London one-man shows at the Alwin in the 80's, he has had his own gallery, which is now located at The Elbow Beach Hotel, Paget, Bermuda.lptors.
Although his Studio is in Bermuda, commissions have taken him to the far reaches of the world.lptors.
Recently he completed a three-times-life-size sculpture for The World Sculpture Park in Changchun, China, the world’s largest sculpture park.lptors.
He and his wife divide most of their time between Bermuda and Europe, as this is where the majority of his bronzes are cast.lptors.
Education & Accolades
- British Council Prize for painting 1953
- Stoke on Trent Coll of Artnting 1953
- Exeter Coll of Art (DipAD) nting 1953
- Univ of Bristol (CertEd, ATD)nting 1953
- Lifetime Achievment Award Govt of Bermuda 2003nting 1953
- FRBS 1985nting 1953
- Masterworks Gallery, Bermuda, Charman Prize for Scultpure 2008nting 1953
Exhibitions and Galleries:
- Bermuda Soc of Arts 1958
- Exe Gallery Devon 1968 Arts 1958
- Exeter City Museum and Art Gallery 1969 and 1970 Arts 1958
- Spectrum Designs Ltd Devon 1969 Arts 1958
- Univ of Bristol 1970 Arts 1958
- City Hall Bermuda (two man show) 1972 Arts 1958
- City Hall Bermuda (four man show) 1973 Arts 1958
- Country Art Gallery USA 1974 Arts 1958
- Bermuda Soc of Arts Gp Show 1974 Arts 1958
- City Hall Bermuda (three man show) 1975 Arts 1958
- Bridge House Art Gallery Bermuda (fndr Desmond Fountain) 1976 Arts 1958
- Newport USA 1976, The Int Gallery Bermuda (three man show) 1977 Arts 1958
- St George's Gallery Middx 1977, Arts 1958
- Windjammer Gallery Bermuda 1980, 1981, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1993 and 1998 Arts 1958
- Bermuda Soc of Arts Members Show 1980 Arts 1958
- Glen Gallery Canada 1981 Arts 1958
- South African Gallery London 1981 Arts 1958
- Poole Fine Art USA 1981 Arts 1958
- Boston Fine Art Inc 1981 Arts 1958
- Coach House Gallery Guernsey 1983 Arts 1958
- Sally Le Gallis Jersey 1983 Arts 1958
- Renaissance Gallery USA 1983 and 1986 Arts 1958
- Alwin Gallery Summer Exhibition London 1985 Arts 1958
- Alwin Gallery UK 1986 and 1987 Arts 1958
- RSBS USA 1986 Arts 1958
- Br Sculptors Art Centre Bermuda 1987 Arts 1958
- Art Expo LA 1987 Arts 1958
- World Congress USA 1987 Arts 1958
- The Sculpture Gallery Bermuda 1989 Arts 1958
- Pinehurst Gallery NC 1990 Arts 1958
- Hartley Hill Gallery Calif 1992 93 Arts 1958
- E S Lawrence Gallery Aspen 1993 Arts 1958
- Cavalier Galleries Stamford 1993 Arts 1958
- RSBS Chelsea Harbour 1993 Arts 1958
- L'Ortolan Sculpture Garden Berks 1993 Arts 1958
- Perry House Galleries Alexandria USA 1994 Arts 1958
- Bruton Street London 1994 Arts 1958
- Bermuda National Gallery, Retropective 1995 Arts 1958
- Cavalier Galleries Greenwich and Nantucket 1995-2008 Arts 1958
- Royall Fine Art Tunbridge Wells 2005-2008 Arts 1958
- DeFined Art, Esher, 2006 - 2008 Arts 1958
- Masterworks Gallery, Bermuda, 2008 Arts 1958
- The Gallery, Mayfair, London, UK 2009 Arts 1958
- DFG, Elbow Beach Hotel, Bermuda, 201 Arts 1958
Solo Exhibitions include:
- H A & E Smith Ltd Bermuda 1975
- A S Cooper & Sons Gallery 1976 muda 1975
- Hamma Galleries Bermuda 1978 muda 1975
- Alwin Gallery London 1980 muda 1975
- Bacardi Int 1982muda 1975
- Coach House Gallery, Guernsey 1983muda 1975
- Sally Le Gallais, Jersey 1983muda 1975
- Renaissance Gallery, Stamford Ct 1983-1986muda 1975
- Windjammer, Bermuda 1985, 86, 89, 93muda 1975
- The Sculpture Gallery, Bermuda 1989-2000muda 1975
- l'Ortolan, Berkshire 1993muda 1975
- The Desmond Fountain Gallery, Bermuda 2000-06muda 1975
- Bermuda National Gallery, Retropective 1995muda 1975
- Falle Fine Art Jersey 1995 and 1997 muda 1975
- Cavalier Gallery USA 1995, Coutts Bermuda 1996 muda 1975
- Sculpture of Sir George Somers for St George's unveiled by HRH Princess Margaret 1984
- Medallions in silver, gold and platinum featuring a portrait of HRH Princess Margaret 1985garet 1984
- Spirit of Joanna Greece 1993 94garet 1984
- Sculpture of Mark Twain unveiled at Directors' Circle preview of Bermuda Nat Gall retrospective 1994 95garet 1984
- Sculpture of The Spirit of Bermuda: Johnny Barnes 1997 98garet 1984
- Heroes of the Oz Trial for Felix Dennis, UK 1997 2000garet 1984
- Jorgen Svendsen for Belzona in Harrogate 2002; 2003garet 1984
- Sarah(3 x life size), for The World Sculpture Park, Changchun, China. 2006garet 1984
- Troubadour, private location, 2009garet 1984
- Matriarch, private location, Austria. 2010garet 1984